This past week while
Alex and I were in Seattle we took a few hours to go to my grandparents house which
is about an hour south from where we were staying. This wasn’t the happiest of visits because this
was my last time ever going there. My grandparents have both passed away and now
the house has been sold.
The house was built
by my great grandparents’ and then when they both passed my grandparents’ moved in.
The house being sold is truly a realization
that a huge chapter in my family is over. As I walked through the house and
around the property it was like a flood of memories hitting me. I could almost
see myself as a little girl running around the yard with my sister or exploring
the chicken coop which no longer stored chickens but instead stored boxes of magazines
and old farming equipment. I took pictures
of the small details of the house that I love. The sign with the family name on it and the doorbell with the crescent moon. I was fighting back tears
with every step. I would never drive
into the driveway and be greeted by Grandpa in the old overalls, Grandma with a
dish towel on her shoulder or Uncle John.
The house was my home for a few months when I was 20 when I was a caregiver for my grandma. I feel blessed to have gotten that time to get to know my grandparents better. As Alex and I got in the car to leave I was trying so hard to soak up ever last thing about the house. We were parked under the huge tree my grandpa planted by seed as a boy. The roots of my family run so deep there. We drove away and I made it maybe only 2 miles before I burst into tears. I will always have my memories and pictures of the house. But I think what I will miss the most are the dinners with my grandpa doing the same old corny joke over and over or picking black berries together. In a few weeks the new family will be moving in and I hope that they can make as many wonderful memories as our family has.
The house was my home for a few months when I was 20 when I was a caregiver for my grandma. I feel blessed to have gotten that time to get to know my grandparents better. As Alex and I got in the car to leave I was trying so hard to soak up ever last thing about the house. We were parked under the huge tree my grandpa planted by seed as a boy. The roots of my family run so deep there. We drove away and I made it maybe only 2 miles before I burst into tears. I will always have my memories and pictures of the house. But I think what I will miss the most are the dinners with my grandpa doing the same old corny joke over and over or picking black berries together. In a few weeks the new family will be moving in and I hope that they can make as many wonderful memories as our family has.
![]() |
| The door bell I love |
![]() |
| The chair my grandpa always sat in |
![]() |
| Alex and I in the backyard |




2 comments:
This is a beautiful post Em! You do a good job at expressing yourself through writing. I like the pictures too! I forgot about the moon doorbell. I really like that picture.
You bet we had good times there. First the farm was taken away, and that was sad. Now the homestead. I loved playing in the rhododendron bush with you. The chicken coop was so intriguing. It was just a great place to run around.
And how well you described what it was like to arrive at the house and see grandma and grandpa and uncle John.
Emmy, this was so great! Wonderful story of memories and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment