Friday, March 30, 2012

Springtime update

Today I am writing poolside and enjoying  this beautiful spring weather before the rain comes back tomorrow. The cherry blooms are out and it is a bit muggy today. It feels so good to soak up a little vitamin D. I can’t believe it has been almost 7 months since I moved to the south bay.  Every day it feels a little bit more like home.  I’m starting to make some friends and learning to navigate around the area pretty well.  But of course I do miss my friends and family in Oregon.  I feel so blessed to have such a strong support group back home.
 Alex and I are still helping with a church start up that is a satellite church of a Church called North Point that is based in Atlanta, Georgia  with head pastor, Andy Stanly. He’s an amazing speaker.  Our little satellite meets only once a month right now and then in May will start to meet twice a month. Most of the people we are friends with are involved with this start-up

  In February and March I was taking a really good classical drawing class that worked with charcoals. The class was mind-bending for me. I had learned bad habits in high school from my art teachers and my new art teacher wasn’t afraid to tell me. I wasn’t planning on taking another drawing class in the spring term but my teacher emailed me last night asking me to consider it. She told me I have amazing potential. So I think I will take a class. How can you say no to an email like that?  In the long run, for my art, I would like to do more of a cartoony style.  But for now it’s fun doing classical art.
Starting tomorrow Morning I will be taking a new workout class called Pure Barre. It’s a mix of Pilates, yoga and ballet. I’m so excited! They claim you can lose an pant size in 10 classes. I’m not trying to lose any weight I just want to get toned and to have a really strong core so my back will feel better.  But it’s exciting that this technique can whip you into shape that fast.
  Later in April I will be training to work at a wild life rescue. I’m so excited to take care of baby squirrels and other animals. I will be volunteering for 6 hours a week for the summer.
News about my better half for anyone who is wondering:  Alex is doing well. He has been working a lot with his two jobs. This month seemed to be even busier with traveling for his Seattle job.  He was in Seattle one weekend then a few days later he was in Chicago for about 72 hours. I’m happy to support him in what loves to do. But I do prefer it when he is home with me. 
        This week we had our first visitors! Our dear friends from Eugene, Craig and Jil, came to stay with us for the night on their way home from Southern Cali. It was so good to see them and to spend a day with them. We can’t wait to have more visitors.  I hope one day we can have a house with a spare room for people.  For now our living room is open for anyone who wants to visit.
Craig,Jil ,Me and Alex

   Alex and I plan on coming to Oregon sometime in the summer. I’m not really sure when yet.  I will let everyone know once we set a date.
                I love and miss you all, 
                                               
                                              Emmy


                                            

2 comments:

AMY said...

Great pics and a great update!

Julie Ann Duris said...

Love your blogs, and so glad you are developing your artistic talents. Glad you get to work with the squirrels.