Tuesday, June 25, 2013

1 week with Elliott



My baby boy is finally here! 

Elliott James Hart was born on the June 18th at 7:51PM. He was 8lbs 7oz and 20 3/4 inches long. On the morning of the 18th, at about 8:45AM, when I was getting ready to walk out the door, my water broke. I called Alex and then labor and delivery at our hospital. We got to the hospital around 10AM. They started monitoring Elliott and I. After an hour or two of the contractions not progressing, the doctor wanted us to leave for a while and walk around.
 Alex and I walked up the street and got lunch. By the time we were done eating and had looked in a few nearby shops, my contractions were strong enough that I didn't want to be walking around anymore. Plus, I was leaking amniotic fluid still, which made it uncomfortable to walk around. Once I got back to the hospital, they showed me to my room.

Me in my Pretty Pusher
I got my cute laboring gown on that my mom got me. The gown is called a Pretty Pusher. It was the talk of the floor between the nurses. I had about an hour and a half of laboring in my room with my contractions not progressing the way they wanted to, so they started me on pitocin with the hope to speed things up. The doctors were worried about infection since my water had broke. Just before I was given the pitocin, my parents came to see me. The nurse gave me the pitocin while they were in the room and it quickly started making the contractions more intense. They left and Alex started to help me with some of the laboring positions we had learned in our class.

At first, I was fine to have Alex rubbing my back and touching at me. Once the pain got bad and I couldn’t move from my side on the bed, I didn’t want to be touched at all. When the nurse came back in the room, I quickly told her I wanted an epidural. She suggested that I try a different pain reliever to just take the edge off. I tried it and it wasn't good enough for me so the anesthesiologist was called. To all the women who do natural childbirth, I applaud you. I was given the epidural and within 10 minutes of getting it, I started pushing.

Alex was by my side the whole time counting for me while I pushed. It was amazing towards the end when my body started pushing for me. The whole time I was pushing, I kept thinking about how fast everything was happening. I only pushed for 1 hour and 18 minutes. At 7:51PM, Elliott was born.

Seeing my son for the
first time
It was so amazing when he came out. He was crying, they wiped him off and put him on my chest. I couldn’t really see him very well, but I was so overwhelmed with emotions at that moment. Alex and I cried together as we looked at our son for the first time. I gave the baby to Alex and I could see him falling in love with his son. The nurses started taking care of me while Alex held Elliott. After about 2 hours, my parents came in the room to meet their new grandson. They didn’t stay long so we could get our rest and have family time. I was then moved upstairs to postpartum care.

First time holding Elliott

Our room was big and had a view of the city and space needle. I was tired, but felt really good for someone who had just pushed out a baby. My whole active labor was around 3 and half hours. I took a bath in the jacuzzi to help with some hip pain i got from pulling too hard on my legs during labor. We finally ate a little something and then went to bed. During the early morning hours I tried to feed Elliott a few times and he wouldn't eat. The nurse didn't seem too concerned, because his first feeding had gone so well.

From 3:30AM to 7:30AM, I held my son skin to skin and watched him sleep. I was afraid to fall asleep with him on my chest. I also kept touching him to make sure he was still breathing. I was falling in love with him deeper and deeper every moment I looked at his sweet face. We ended up staying at the hospital for about 36 hours. Alex and I really enjoyed our birthing experience and loved all the nurses that cared for Elliott and I. All of them had something great to teach us. While in the hospital, I only changed one diaper. Alex, who had never changed a diaper before, changed all of them. Alex was so amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better birthing coach. Fatherhood is fitting him well. I’m so blessed to call him my husband. All I ever wanted was to be a wife and mom. Now, I am both. I couldn't happier.

Alex has been like super dad since we got home. He has made all kinds of charts to keep track of feeding and diaper changes. He found a really great app/website that we started to use for the keeping track of everything. On Friday, we took Elliott to the doctor for his 3 day old check up appointment. We found out he had lost almost a pound and has jaundice. My milk had not come in yet and he wasn't getting the food he needed. The doctor had a breast pump sent over to help my milk come in and we had to supplement with a little formula. He now has gained back a good amount of weight and his jaundice is doing much better.
Alex and Elliott have skin to skin time

Our friend who is a labor and delivery nurse came over to stay that night to help with Elliott. She was amazing! We were then able to get a little rest. She told us she would come over again if we need her to. I think we will take her up on her offer soon.  I’m doing pretty good. nursing was was going pretty good at first but then over the weekend I got engorged on one side. On Monday I went to the lactation specialist and found I have mastitis. I have started to take antibiotics for it and am starting to feel better already  I have now stopped taking the Oxycodone that I was taking for the pain of tearing, hip and sore ribs. Elliott was pushing on my ribs as he was coming out. I’m tired, but what new mom isn't
? I’m enjoying being a mom to my sweet Elliott. He is a really good baby. He has his fathers dimples; it’s so cute. I can't wait for everyone to meet him!

Just after he was born
The morning after he was born
1 week old



First family photo

2 comments:

Julie Ann Duris said...

You wear motherhood well. I'm so proud of how you've taken every little twist and turn this past week with such a positive outlook, even though you've not felt well.
I'm so happy for you and Alex.

Mindy M Gray said...

I'm so glad everything went so well for you! I am selfishly excited that you posted this, because as I sit here and wait for Lilly Anne to come, I am obsessed with reading other people's birth stories, and yours isn't too scary! He is absolutely perfect. What app are you using to monitor feedings and diapers? I found a few on my phone but am curious what works for you :)